Here's a quick tutorial on how to make a 36 patch that is used in the Twist Along With Sha QAL.
1. Decide on your layout. 6 rows of 6 squares. All the squares have to be the same size.
2. Now sew the rows together using a 1/4" seam allowance. Make sure the top and bottom of the squares match up.
3. Press the rows in opposite directions. Rows 1, 3 and 5 press towards the left and 2, 4 and 6 towards the right. This is when looking at the rows.
4. Sew row 1 to row 2. Make sure to butt the seams against each other so they fit together. The picture on the left is of a seam that didn't fit together correctly and the pic on the right is the correct way it should look. I find it best to pin the seam and flip it over to make sure they match.
5. Continue adding rows until all the rows are sewn together. Press these seams open. You will be glad that you did when we start cutting the twister blocks later.
Here's what my 36 patch looks like.